Nutella is a sweet treat that many of us love. Though advertised as healthy the main ingredient is white sugar and the second ingredient is palm oil. In one tablespoon (who only has one tablespoon?) there are 11 grams of sugar and 6 grams of fat. For most (2-4 tbsp serving), you are looking at 22 – 44 grams of sugar. There are 12 grams of sugar in one tablespoon of white granulated sugar. Even if there is some health benefit with added calcium (as they so proudly advertise) the sugar content consequences outweigh any benefit. One Kit Kat bar has 22 grams of sugar, 11 grams of fat (7 grams of that being saturated fat) and 210 calories. Having two tablespoons of Nutella is like having one Kit Kat bar. Just two tablespoons includes: 12 grams of fat (4 saturated), 22 grams of sugar and 200 calories. There are 231 grams of sugar in one 400 gram jar of Nutella that is over 20 tablespoons of white granulated sugar.
So in loving the flavour of Nutella (minus the intense sweetness of white sugar) I set out to make a healthier version. Instead of sugar I’m using Stevia and Agave. Yes Agave contains sugar but I’m only using 3 tablespoons in the entire recipe. Agave is lower on the glycemic index and therefore doesn’t spike our blood sugars like white granulated sugar does. Like anything it should still be used in moderation.
This Healthy Nutella is perfect for DAMY Health Members to have as meal two with a Banana or Apple Slices. The serving size is 1/4 Cup.
Try this recipe as a dip for apple slices, spread on a banana, or for the kids in a whole grain wrap with a banana. This snack has protein, fiber, and healthy fats. Enjoy the flavour of Nutella without the added junk!
Healthy Nutella Recipe
- 2 Cups Hazelnuts
- 2 Tbsp Natural Cocoa
- Dash of Cinnamon
- Dash of Salt
- 4 Small Packets of Stevia
- 3 Tbsp Agave
- 3 Tbsp Cashew Butter
- 1/2 Cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk (adding slowly – you may not use the entire 1/2 cup)
- Add all ingredients into food processor (Only 1/4 cup of the almond milk).
- Blend until smooth. Add another 1/4 cup of the almond milk as needed. If you need more moisture feel free to add more almond milk or warm water. Blending will take a while.
- Stop to scrape down the sides and to let your food processor rest. The consistency will be a bit thicker than traditional Nutella as we’re not using any oils to make it shiny and smooth. The flavour is delicious, fresh and natural. It is sweetened just enough!