Supper, for most, is followed by relaxation time after a long day. The most common supper meal down-fall is overloading on starchy carbs. Don’t get this confused, carbs are great! They are needed in a healthy lifestyle for everything from energy to brain power but having a heavy carb meal at the end of your day is not needed. Carbs should be consumed at the beginning and throughout the day so they are available to be used as energy. Carbs are quick absorbing fuel that are immediately available for energy. This is great to fuel your workout and your busy day but when you have them at night and are just sitting they are just sitting and can be stored as fat. Your best option is to skip that carb at supper. Now, I don’t want you to get upset or worry about what you’ll have for supper like life will somehow suck without rice past 6 pm. I’ve got you covered.
Take a deep breath, you are going to be just fine… maybe great and even maybe shed those last 10 pounds that have been hanging on. So here are my top “Pick This Over That” choices to fix your no-carb supper worries.
You can still make your favourite meals while substituting pasta, rice, bread and wraps with great choices that exclude starchy carbs yet pack a ton of flavor and nutrients!
Instead of Pasta – use Spaghetti Squash
I love using spaghetti squash in place of pasta! It is loaded with nutrients, is naturally sweet, is low on the GI meaning it does not cause blood sugar spikes and it doesn’t leave you feeling uncomfortable after supper. It is the best of the best! I would pick it over pasta any day! Here is how you make spaghetti squash and a simple healthy sample supper meal.
- 1 Large Spaghetti Squash
- Cut a large squash in half and remove all seeds and pulp.
- Place on a baking sheet.
- Place in your oven at 375F for 35-40 minutes. (I like mine a little crispy so I take it out at the 35 min mark).
- Once the squash is cooked you can throw on an oven mitt and begin to scrape your “pasta” into a bowl while it is still hot. Pull a fork lengthwise through the flesh to separate it into long strands. You can make your “pasta” ahead of time and have it in the fridge to dress up however you like!
Ground Turkey Sausage
- 1 lb Lean Ground Turkey
- 2 Tsp Olive Oil
- ½ Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 Tsp Fennel Seed
- ½ Tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- ½ Tsp Smokey Paprika
- ¼ Tsp Ground Cayenne Pepper
- Organic, No Added Sugar, Natural Tomato Based Pasta Sauce – (to make your own click here http://www.damyhealth.com/2011/03/the-secret-life-of-cauliflower/)
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan.
- Add the ground turkey and all seasonings and cook.
- Chop turkey while frying to hamburger consistency.
- Cook until browned completely!
- Fold in your tomato sauce and simmer until warm.
- Place sauce sausage mixture on top of your “pasta” and serve.
(*DAMY Members – add a green veggie and a side salad for a perfect, full meal.)
Instead of Rice – use Cauliflower Rice
Use this fried rice as you would normal rice a along side a nice gilled chicken breast or any lean protein, some steamed veggies and a nice side salad. You can use this cauliflower rice anywhere you would normal rice. So great ways I enjoy it are in stir fries, as a side, in a casserole, with chilli, or in soups. Here is my simple cauliflower rice recipe (http://www.damyhealth.com/2011/03/the-secret-life-of-cauliflower/).
Serving size – depending on the size of your cauliflower head this recipe makes 2-4 servings.
(*DAMY Members add a protein, green veggie and a side salad for a great, whole meal!)
Instead of Whole Grain Wraps – use Lettuce Wraps
You can make anything with these babies and use them as you would a corn shell or bread wrap! Here are my favorite recipes to make with my lettuce wraps. You can buy the packaged lettuce wraps in the salad section, use whole romaine leaves, or a full head of iceberg cut in half (peeling off layers and using those). You can still have all your classic recipes, just now with lettuce wraps!
Here are great recipes I like to use with my lettuce wraps. Chicken Fajitas, Ground Turkey Tacos, Turkey Burgers, Egg Salad or Tuna salad. The following are all great supper recipes. Try them this week.
Ground Turkey Tacos
- 2 Tsp Chili Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Cumin
- 1/4 Tsp Oregano
- 6 oz Extra Lean Ground Turkey
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Onion
- 2 Cups Shredded Lettuce
- 2 Medium Tomatoes, Diced
- 1/2 Cup Salsa
- Bell Peppers, Sliced
- In lightly oiled pan, add the ground turkey and onion. Cook over medium heat until the turkey is browned and the onion is translucent.
- Drain if needed.
- Add the spices to the turkey mixture. Stir to mix evenly.
- To serve, place a 1/4 cup of the turkey mixture in each lettuce wrap.
- Top each with salsa, tomatoes, lettuce, bell peppers, and 1 tbsp of cheese or my personal favorite avocado for your healthy fat.
(*DAMY Members – if you are using the avocado you can have up to half a whole one spread out on your tacos. If you use cheese only use 1 tbsp spread out on all your tacos. Use one or the other for your healthy fat. DAMY Members serving is 2-3 tacos. To make this a full meal add a side salad and some green veggies.)
Recipe Makes: 4 tacos
Jamie Eason’s Italian Turkey Burgers
I love this recipe created by Jamie Eason!
- 2 Packages of Ground Extra Lean Turkey Breast
- 4 Medium Zucchini, Grated
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 Tsp Onion Powder
- 2 Tsp Dried Basil
- 1 Tsp Oregano
- 1 Tsp Black Pepper
- Set broiler on high, arranging rack so that burgers will be about 2 inches from the heat.
- In a large bowl, combine grated zucchini, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, dried basil, oregano, pepper and then turkey. Mix well and scoop out 4 to 5 oz portions. Mixture will be really moist so for easier clean up, use a foil lined baking sheet, prepped with non-stick spray.
- Place burgers in oven and broil for 7 minutes. Carefully flip each burger and continue to broil for another 7 minutes on the other side. Serve warm.
*These are great as meatballs too! Make with spaghetti squash for a low carb meal.
Makes 8 Burgers
(*DAMY Members add a green veggie and a side salad for a whole meal! Feel free to pair this with the spaghetti squash, fried rice or throw it in a lettuce wrap!)
- 1 Tbsp Tabasco Sauce
- 2 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 2 Packets Stevia
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, Sliced into Strips
- 1 Red Bell Pepper Sliced into Strips
- 1 Onion, Sliced into Strips
- 2 Tomatoes, Diced
- Low Fat Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
- Mix together all marinade ingredients in a bowl. Add chicken strips and turn to coat. Let sit for at least 10 min.
- Slice peppers and onions into strips. Dice your tomatoes.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan or wok. Stir-fry chicken until cooked through. Remove from pan and add pepper strips and onion strips. Stir fry until cooked to your preference. Add chicken back into the veggies and mix.
- Serve 1/4 of the mixture rolled in a lettuce wrap with ½ tbsp of shredded cheese and some of the diced tomatoes.
(*DAMY Members – have 2 of these fajitas in your lettuce wraps for supper. Feel free to pair with a side of cauliflower rice and a side salad for a full meal.)
- 1/4 Cup Fat-Free Cottage Cheese
- 1 Tsp Mustard
- 4 Hardboiled Egg Whites, Diced
- 1 Hardboiled Yolk
- 2 Tbsp Chopped Green Onion
- 2 Tbsp Chopped Celery
- Dash Curry Powder (if desired)
- 1/4 Tsp Sea Salt
- 1 Tbsp Almond, Rice, Skim or Soy Milk
- Whip cottage cheese and milk until smooth in medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Blend remaining ingredients except egg whites with cottage cheese mixture.
- Add diced egg whites to cottage cheese mixture. Mix well.
Makes 1 Serving
(*DAMY Members – have this in your lettuce wraps. Make it s full meal with a side salad, cooked veggies and/or cauliflower rice.)
- 6 Oz Can or Pouch Unsalted Tuna in Water, Drained
- 3 Tbsp Celery, Diced
- 3 Tbsp Red Onion, Diced
- 2 Tbsp Tomato, Seeded and Diced
- 2 Tbsp Apple, Unpeeled and Diced (optional)
- 1/3 Cup Nonfat Greek Yogurt
- 1 1/2 Tsp White Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 Tsp Dried Oregano
- 1/4 Tsp Parsley Flakes
- 1/8 Tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Thin Slices Tomato
- 2 1-Oz Slices Reduced-Fat Swiss Cheese (optional)
- In a medium bowl, stir together everything except the cheese and tomato slices until well combined.
- Place tuna mixture in your lettuce wraps.
- Top each with 1 slice tomato and 1 slice cheese if you are having it.
Makes 1-2 Servings