I don’t know about you but I love the smell of Apple Pie and Apple Crisp. These muffin/protein bars filled my house with that delicious apple/cinnamon scent! I love these! These are my favourite to-date. They’re fresh and clean tasting. For me, these almost feel like a treat but they’re not. They are perfect clean energy for your weight loss/leaning out goals. Enjoy these and I hope they’re a hit in your house like they were mine.
*All these protein muffin recipes can be made in a lightly greased 8 x 8 baking dish then cut into squares OR you can make them in muffin tins like I choose to. Either way they are delicious.
Healthy Apple Crumble Muffins or Protein Bars
- 1 Cup Oat Flour *see notes below
- 2 Scoops Natural Protein Powder (plain whey works great)
- 6-8 Packets Stevia (for more information on baking with Stevia click here)
- 2 Tsp Cinnamon
- ½ Tsp Baking Soda
- ¼ Tsp Sea Salt
- 4 Egg Whites
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 3 Peeled and Chopped Apples or 1 Cup Unsweetened Natural Apple Sauce
- 1/3 Cup Plain Non Fat Greek Yogurt *See Greek Yogurt Tip below
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Apple Cut into 12 Thin Slices (Set Aside to Top Muffins)
Oat Flour Directions – To make oat flour simply take dry oatmeal and blend it until it is flour consistency.
Apple Puree Directions – I used chopped apples and pureed them in the food processor. If you’re in a time crunch or don’t want to do this you can use unsweetened natural apple sauce.
*Greek Yogurt Tip – If you do not have Greek Yogurt on hand you can use non-fat or dry curd cottage cheese in its place (simply puree the cottage cheese first).
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix all dry ingredients together. Then mix in all wet ingredients. Stir until smooth and blended.
- Lightly spray muffin tin with oil (extra virgin olive oil).
- Place batter evenly in muffin tins.
- Place 1 thin apple slice on top of each muffin.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes (check them at the 20 minute mark and keep an eye on them for the last 10 minutes).
- Remove from the oven, gently remove them from the tin and place on a cooling rack. These are very moist and fragile until they cool.
- Once they cool they are firm and yummy! Place in a sealed container.
*Makes 12 protein bars/muffins.
**Serving size for women is 2 (4 for men).
***DAMY Members can have 2 for meal 2 or 4.