I love protein bars! They are convenient, sweet and quick-to-grab. The problem with store-bought protein bars is that 99% contain crap that I would never normally put in my body. See, “protein bars” that are store-bought most of the time contain more carbs (coming from sugar sources or artificial sweeteners) than they do protein. They don’t make any sense. It’s all just about marketing and trying to get you to buy what you think is healthy. So, in theory protein bars are awesome but the only way to get them on store shelves is to pack them full of preservatives and make them with low-cost ingredients. This is not what a healthy lifestyle stands for at all. It is always your best bet to make your own!
Most of the protein bars that I make contain oat flour which as an ingredients does not contain gluten but unless the oats you purchase say on them “non-contaminated oats” they could have been cross contaminated with gluten. I have many clients and blog followers that are on a gluten-free diet so I created these gluten-free low-carb protein bars. With using the almond flour remember the texture will be somewhat grainy and these bars are not the most sturdy. The good news is they are delicious and perfect for a snack.
Gluten-Free Low-Carb Blueberry Lime Protein Bars
- 3/4 Cup Almond Meal
- 2 Scoops Natural Protein Powder (plain whey works great)
- 6 Packets Stevia
- ½ Tsp Baking Soda
- ¼ Tsp Sea Salt
- 1 1/4 Cups Egg Whites
- 1 Cup Pureed Blueberries
- Zest of 1/2 Lime
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Squeeze Lime (pulp included)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Place all ingredients in your food processor and blend until smooth.
- Lightly spray 8×8 baking dish with a healthy oil (extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil).
- Place batter evenly in baking dish.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes (check them at the 20 minute mark and keep an eye on them for the last 10 minutes).
- Remove from the oven, cut into 16 servings.
- Feel free to wrap each individual serving up for quick-to-go snacks or place in a container and store in the fridge. Make sure to always store these protein bars in the fridge as there are no preservatives in this recipe.
*Makes 16 protein bars.
**Serving size for women is 2 (4 for men).
***DAMY Members can have 2 for meal 2 or 4.