AS SEEN IN OXYGEN MAGAZINE! Click here to see them in the magazine.
I love this recipe. These are the perfect substitute for unhealthy fatty fries. The eggplant has the perfect texture for fries.
I love both methods of cooking them and find them equally good. One tip – if you’re going to use the frying method make sure to cut your fries small whereas if you’re using the baking method you can make them bigger.
These can be enjoyed no matter what your weight loss or health goals are. There is very little to them to tell you the truth. They are packed with fiber and can be easily gluten-free with the almond meal option (also, if you can find uncontaminated oats the oat flour would also be gluten-free).
I loved these with our Skinny Sweet-with-Heat Chipotle Dipping Sauce. Check it out here.
If you love dipping your fries in sour cream non-fat greek yogurt is an awesome substitute! Enjoy these perfect fries.
Healthy Eggplant Fries
Makes 2-3 Servings
- 1 Large Eggplant
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil (If using the frying method)
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Oat Flour (Or – Almond Meal) *See instructions below.
- Salt and Pepper
- Cut eggplant into “pinky-finger” sized fries.
- In one bowl add 1/2 cup of oat flour or almond meal.
- In a separate bowl place two eggs and beat until blended.
- Add salt and pepper to the eggs as desired.
- Take individual eggplant slices and dip them in your eggs then directly into your flour. Make sure they are completely coated in the flour.
Oat Flour Directions:
- Place old fashioned oats in the food processor, blender or magic bullet.
- Blend until flour consistency.
- So easy!
- Heat cast-iron pan to medium-low (water should sizzle when sprinkled on the pan).
- Add one tbsp of coconut oil to the pan and let melt.
- Place eggplant fries in the pan and let each side ‘brown.’
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.
- You are free to make your eggplant fries bigger when cutting if using this method. If you do make them small you’ll want to monitor the baking to make sure they don’t burn.
- Pre-heat oven to 425 F.
- Place eggplant fries on a parchment covered baking sheet evenly spaced.
- Bake for 25 minutes (or until brown) flipping them once.
- Serve immediately.
DAMY Members: This recipe can be enjoyed for meal 4, 5 or 6 (5 and 6 when made with almond flour).