I love these Clean Baked Apple Pancake Rings. This recipe is so easy which is such a relief because first I tried to make pan-fried apple rings and it was insanely hard. They just stuck to the pan repeatedly and it wouldn’t work. Then I found out how everyone was making them work was by loading on the oil. This is not an option at DAMY so I decided to create a healthier version.
Since this recipe is baked it is going to have more of a crispy outside rather then a fluffy pancake style texture.
My husband and I both preferred the flavour and texture of this baking method and were thrilled with the way they turned out. We enjoyed ours plain but I have listed some ways for you to dress them up if you choose. It depends how “clean” you want this recipe to remain. The Healthy Topping Choices are listed below.
You can enjoy these Apple Pancake Rings in the original ring shape or you can try the heart shaped option for Valentine’s Day or just as a special way to make someone you love smile. I know just looking at these heart shaped pancake rings I feel like saying – awww!
Note – A great apple corer and a heart shaped cookie cutter are a great assistance to this recipe.
Easy Clean Baked Apple Pancake Rings
Makes 5 Servings
- 5 Apples (typical serving is 1 apple per person so this depends on how many people you are serving)
- 1/2 Cup Oat Flour (Grind oats until flour consistency)
- 1/3 Cup Egg Whites + 1 Whole Egg
- 1 Tbsp Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 2 Packets Stevia (Optional)
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp Ground Flax
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
Pancake Batter Directions:
- Blend all ingredients (except apples) until smooth using a blender, food processor or magic bullet.
- Place batter in a bowl to be used to dip apples in.
Apple Ring Directions:
- Pre-heat oven to 375 F.
- Using an apple corer core all your apples.
- Slice your apples 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Optional – Using a heart shaped cookie cutter cut your apple slices into heart shapes.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a fork dip apple slices into pancake batter completely covering both sides.
- Place batter covered apple ring onto parchment covered baking sheet. Repeat until all apple slices are battered.
- Bake in the oven for 22-30 minutes (this depends on how thick you cut your apples so watch them. They will be ready when the batter is golden brown).
- Remove from oven and top with one of the recommended DAMY Toppings below.
DAMY Members – 1 Apple worth of apple rings can be meal 1 or 2 (without the honey or agave topping). You can have 1 apple worth of apple rings with the honey or agave topping as a special breakfast treat.
Healthy Pancake Topping Choices
- Cinnamon Sugar Sprinkle (Using 1/2 stevia and 1/2 cinnamon)
- Natural Syrup Drizzle (Maple Syrup, Agave or Honey)
- Healthy Strawberry Coulis (recipe below)
- Whipped Coconut Cream
Healthy Strawberry Coulis
- 1 Cup Frozen Strawberries
- 2 Packets of Stevia (or Agave)
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- In a medium sauce pan combine the stevia, strawberries and lemon juice.
- Bring to a boil over med-high heat. Then transfer to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Strain and set aside until cool. Store in the fridge for up to one week.