Pina Colada Cupcakes… the end. Really, do I need to say anymore? Just kidding! Spring makes me sassy!
I really wanted to do some baking with almond flour for a while now but had a hard time getting around to it. Two reasons – one being I haven’t had any special occasions to bake a bunch of cupcakes for and two – I was kind of scared of making cupcakes with almond flour.
Here’s why – for whatever reason (and I don’t know the answer – well, that’s not true, I kind of do but I’m not clear on it) not all almond flour bakes the same. The main reason I have found has to do with some brands leaving the skin on and not blending the flour thin enough. Using any almond flour will not make your cupcakes turn out “bad” they just may not turn out as pretty. Which, to me, just means add more icing before you serve them.
In any case, here is a link to an almond flour brand that is known for baking well.
These cupcakes have a beautiful flavor. The combination of coconut and pineapple is heavenly to me. I left you with three different icing options. The one pictured is simply our Coconut Cream. I also included my Cashew Colada Cream Icing that is dairy free. This is a great icing for those Moms wanting to avoid processed sugars and chemicals for their children.
I hope you love these cupcakes! For all of us that didn’t get away somewhere tropical this March we can instead indulge in these Pina Colada Cupcakes.
Pina Colada Cupcakes (Almond Flour)
Prep time: 15 Minutes – Cook time: 25 Minutes – Total time: 40 Minutes
Yield: Makes 12 Cupcakes
- 3 Cups Almond Flour
- 1/4 Cup Liquid Coconut Oil (Melted in a double boiler – not microwaved)
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
- 2 Eggs
- 3 Tbsp Pineapple Juice
- 1/2 Cup Honey (Maple Syrup or Agave to taste)
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 Cup Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
- 1/4 Cup Pineapple Chunks
Cashew Colada Cream Icing Ingredients:
- 1 Cup Cashew Butter
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Cream (from fridge – see coconut cream link)
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Cup Pineapple Chunks
- 1/3 Cup Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- 3 Packets Stevia
- 2 Tbsp Pineapple Juice
- Cupcake Directions:
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Line muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Place all wet ingredients in a bowl and mix until completely smooth.
- In a separate bowl mix all dry ingredients until completely mixed.
- Combine the two in a bowl and mix.
- Evenly distribute the batter into the muffin cups.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until you insert a toothpick (in the middle of a cupcake) and it comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and place on a cooling rack.
- Coconut Whipped Icing – For the Coconut Whipped Cream Topping go here. I simply covered the cupcakes in coconut cream directly before serving and sprinkled them with shredded coconut.
- Coconut Oil Topping – For less sugar and to eat these warm spreading a thin layer of coconut oil over the top of these cupcakes is delicious.
- Cashew Colada Cream Icing – For the Cashew Cream Icing place all ingredients in your food processor and blend until smooth.
- Use a piping bag if you wish to decorate your cupcakes.
DAMY Members – 1 Cupcake is a perfect treat option. These are also great to serve for any special occasion.
Love Pina Colada? Try these: