This Salted Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake recipe screams Fall to me! The flavors blend so well together. The dense cinnamon flavored cake with the sweet apples topped off with a salty, sweet caramel sauce is a match made in heaven.
This recipe is wonderful for an after supper treat or for entertaining. I love that this recipe features whole, natural ingredients and is loaded with fiber.
I used fresh cranberries to present this cake for a pop of color. Feel free to get creative and use whatever you wish! This recipe is a great dish for the Holiday Season!
If you love whipped cream always remember you can use our Coconut Whipped Cream found here.
This recipe is gluten free, grain free, high fiber, sweet, salty and delicious.
Salted Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake (Gluten Free & Grain Free)
Prep time: 15 Minutes - Cook time: 45 Minutes - Total time: 1 Hour
Yield: Makes 1 8-Inch Upside Down Cake (8 Servings)
Apple Layer Ingredients:
- 2 Large Apples (Sliced into 1/4 Inch Thick Pieces)
- 2 Tbsp Agave Nectar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1/2 Cup Pumpkin Puree
- 1/2 Cup Natural Nut Butter (I used almond)
- 1/4 Cup Agave Nectar
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 Cup Egg Whites
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 Cup Cooked Chickpeas
- 1 Tbsp Cinnamon
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Cup Pre-Soaked Dates
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Agave Nectar
- 1 Tbsp Almond Butter
- 1/4 Tsp Sea Salt
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1-3 Tbsp Water (add one at a time and check thinness of caramel sauce)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
- Using a large skillet melt coconut oil and agave nectar from apple layer ingredients.
- Add apple slices and turn heat to medium-high.
- Stir occassionally until apples are slightly brown yet still hold their shape.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place parchment paper into the bottom of an 8 inch spring-form pan.
- Spray spring-form pan and parchment paper with a healthy non-stick cooking oil.
- Arrange apples in desired shape in the bottom of the pan on top of the parchment paper.
- Place all cake ingredients into your food processor and blend until completely smooth.
- Scoop cake batter on top of apples and spread out evenly and gently.
- Place in the oven for 45-48 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let set in spring-form pan for 10 minutes.
- Release spring-form pan, place a plate on top of the cake and in one fast motion flip the cake.
- Remove the parchment and bottom of pan from top of cake.
- Prepare caramel ingredients by adding all to your food processor and blending until completely smooth.
- Add as much water as needed to achieve desired thinness of caramel sauce.
- Drizzle as much or as little caramel sauce as you wish over the cake.
- Cut into pieces and serve!
- Note – the cranberries in the pictures are simply just fresh cranberries I used to give the photos a pop of color.