This recipe came about because honestly I wanted Mac and Cheese! I wanted it with no dairy, no guilt, no pasta and with a crusty, yummy top.
I love this dish! It turned out great for me. It is a wonderful, healthy, low-carb version of Mac and Cheese. Keep in mind for dairy eaters out there this is not going to have the same cheese flavor. It is, however, really good!
To me this is the perfect comfort food. You can create this dish in ramekins for individual servings or in a tart pan/casserole dish.
This recipe is gluten free, grain free, low carb, dairy free, vegan, easy and high fiber.
Vegan Cauliflower Mac & Cheese (Low-Carb)
Prep time: 15 Minutes - Cook time: 25 Minutes - Total time: 40 Minutes
Yield: Makes 3 Servings
- 2 1/2 Cups Pre-Grated Cauliflower (Using a cheese grater or food processor until rice-texture)
Cheese Sauce Ingredients:
- 3 Tbsp Flax Meal (Ground Flax)
- 3 Tbsp Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 7 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Tsp Melted Coconut Oil
- 2 Tsp Stone Ground Mustard
- 1/4 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Onion Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Sriracha Hot Sauce (Optional)
- Pepper (to taste)
- 1 Tbsp Almond Flour
- 1 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- Pre-heat oven to 450 F.
- In a large skillet cook grated cauliflower until translucent (7-10 minutes on medium).
- In a large bowl mix together all cheese sauce ingredients.
- Mix until smooth.
- Combine cauliflower into cheese sauce and mix well.
- Scoop cauliflower into ramekins or a baking dish.
- Top with almond flour and nutritional yeast topping.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes (until top is golden brown).
- Remove from oven and enjoy!