Summer has finally found us here in Vancouver. This time of year always means “smoothie” time to me.
I love having smoothies as my snacks during these hot summer months. They make my feel satisfied without feeling overly full and weighed down. They are just the best way to fuel your body this time of year.
I will be sharing some of my new favourite recipes over the next few weeks.
Today I am starting with my Key Lime Pie Smoothie. I adore this recipe. It screams summer to me.
It is sweet, tangy and cold just like the pie! The recipe below is an adaptation of my recipe that was published in Oxygen Magazine.
This recipe not only tastes great it contains some wonderful, healthy and beautiful benefits. Below you will find some quick facts about these super star shake ingredients:
- Limes are packed with antioxidants. These green jewels are known to be detoxifying and toning.
- Hemp Seeds are high in protein and fibre. They are great for cleansing the body much like flax seeds. Hemp seeds however are amazing in that they have a perfect 3:1 ratio of omega 6 to omega 3. The omega 6 fats found in these powerful seeds is called GLA (gamma linolenic acid). GLA has many benefits including regulating inflammation and is commonly used to treat eczema and PMS symptoms. It was discovered that women with PMS have decreased in GLA. Restoring your GLA helps reduce common PMS symptoms. Omega 3′s are key to glowing skin, strong nails and healthy, shiny hair.
- Avocados are one of the richest sources of glutathione – a powerful antioxidant, immunity booster and detoxifier that helps to repair cell damage caused by stress and pollution.
- Coconut Water and Bananas are both loaded with precious potassium. Potassium is essential for maintaining your electrolyte balance that can be depleted during intense workouts or this summer heat. Potassium is key to ensure proper nerve and muscle function.
This recipe is vegan, gluten free, raw, contains omega 3 and 6s, is packed with antioxidants and tastes like a blended Key Lime Pie!
The Key Lime Pie Radiant Beauty Smoothie (Vegan, Gluten Free, Raw)
Prep time: 5 Minutes
Yield: Makes 1 Serving
- 1/2 Avocado
- 1/2 Chopped Frozen Banana
- Juice of 1 Lime
- 2 Tsp Lime Zest
- 2 Tbsp Hemp Seeds (OR 1 Scoop Vanilla Protein Powder)
- 1/4 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tbsp Unsweetened Natural Shredded Coconut
- 1 1/2 Cups Natural Unsweetened Coconut Water (OR Unsweetened Almond Milk)
- 1 Packet Stevia (OR 3 Pitted Medjool Dates)
- Blend all ingredients together until smooth.
- Serve and enjoy!
DAMY Members - This recipe can be used for meal 2 or 4.