This is for all you carb craving, carb-aholic, carb-nivours. You know who you are. I am here to save your day, your week and your life. You can eat carbs!!! You can still enjoy those flavors you know and love. I have taken all those foods that you love to eat and often give-in to (feeling you have then ruined your diet) and turned them into something you can eat and feel wonderful about.
These recipes show up in my menu day after day and never get old. They are just so delicious you would think you would have to avoid them like the plague (***101 millionth reason why DAMY Health plans are the best). The idea that losing weight has to be some form of torture is over once you join our team. Delicious food floods our menus. I digress, these are the carb lovers dream-foods without the carbs or the guilt. You will never feel deprived again.
Many of you have sent me what you were craving and I have built you a go-to guide for carbs. I don’t want anyone banishing carbs from their diet. It is just not natural. You start cutting carbs and you are sure to be moody as heck, your weight loss will stall, you will be so tired you could cry and your skin will sag. So for the love of health don’t cut your carbs, sub them for better choices! This is what this guide is for. If you are craving something look down the list for the perfect DAMY substitute. All of the following substitutions are lower in fat, contain no evil simple sugars or white flour, are loaded with fiber and contain balancing proteins. They also contain essential vitamins and healthy fats so they are more than substitutions, they are feeding your body nutrients and you don’t even know it. These recipes actually help you lose weight! You will be thanking me for your tight booty and endless energy. So… you’re welcome, now lets get our carb on.
Something buttery, chips, crackers, croutons to top a salad
Eat these on their own as a snack, on top of soup, or as my personal favourite on top of salads.
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp fresh lime juice (optional)
1 tbsp hot pepper flakes, sea salt and fresh ground pepper (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400
2. Use a rimmed baking sheet, lightly oiled (or use parchment)
3. Mix all these ingredients together! Toss them on your baking sheet and spread them out evenly. Bake for 30 mins (stirring once).
Test them often until they reach the desired dryness!
*I am going to be 100% honest. Lately I have been in a rush and have had little time to prep my chickpeas so I have simply been adding a dash of olive oil, a sprinkle of garlic salt and a light coating of lime hot sauce. Let me tell you these things turn out yummy! So if you are in a pinch and don’t have the prep time try my easy quick fix. You will still love these little, butter golden goodness morsels.
This rice is perfect for stir-frys, your side for supper, in soups, and you can even make sushi with it. Add this “rice” anywhere you would use rice. This recipe is sure to become a regular in your kitchen. It is easy, simple and yummy.
1 medium onion, diced
1 head cauliflower, trimmed and coarsely chopped
¼ teaspoon sea salt
1. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
2. Sauté onion over medium heat for 10 minutes, until soft.
3. Meanwhile, place cauliflower in a food processor with the “S” blade and process until the texture of rice (if you do not have a processor, you can use a hand grander to “rice” the cauliflower).
4. Add cauliflower to skillet, cover and cook 5-10 minutes, until soft, then add salt.
You read this right. No one will ever know, it is that good. You can also make this into amazing garlic fingers or bread sticks for dipping in soup.
1 cup cooked Cauliflower Rice (*see recipe above)
1/4 egg whites
1 cup low fat mozzarella cheese OR Feta (want to make this even more DAMY friendly? Try a low-fat cottage cheese in place if the cheese)
1 tsp oregano
2 tsp parsley
*Organic, natural pizza or pasta sauce
DAMY Veggie Pizza
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F
2. Slightly grease a cookie sheet (or use my favourite – a baking stone)
3. In a bowl, combine cauliflower, egg white and cheese. Press evenly on to the pan and sprinkle with the oregano and parsley.
4. Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes (depending on your oven).
5. Remove the crust from the oven.
6. Add sauce and toppings (add cheese sparingly if desired).
7. Place under a broiler at high heat until cheese is melted and golden.
Pasta, Pasta, Pasta
If you are craving carbs and the ‘pasta-comfort feeling’ look no further! Spaghetti squash is so sweet, fresh and delicious! I would choose this over pasta any day! It is simple to make and can be dressed up like your favorite pasta dish. To be honest I only add sea salt to mine because it is full of flavor! Try substituting your beef sauce with ground turkey for that extra health kick. That’s right pasta with zero guilt or bloating!
1. Cut squash in half and remove all seeds and pulp.
2. Place on a baking sheet.
3. Place in your oven at 375F for 35-40 minutes. (I like mine a little crispy so I take it out at the 35 min mark).
4. Once the squash is cooked, you can throw on an oven mitt and begin to scrape your “pasta” into a bowl while it is still hot. Pull a fork lengthwise through the flesh to separate it into long strands. You can make your “pasta” ahead of time and have it in the fridge to dress up however you like!
Fries, potatoes, something sweet and salty
Sweet Potato Coins
1. Preheat oven to 450
2. Cut sweet potatoes in 1/2 inch thin coins.
3. Brush with olive oil on each side and place onto a baking sheet.
***Tip – a great product is an olive oil pump. Have you ever seen these? You add the olive oil to these little pumps. The pump creates pressure which gives the aerosol effect to the pump without the aerosol. So cool!
4. Bake for 10 minutes, then flip all coins and continue to bake for another 10 minutes or until desired crispness.
Enjoy on their own or with a low sugar ketchup.
Chips or Pretzels
See Blog HERE.
Everyone loves whipped potatoes. Feel free to have these anytime (including at night). Looking for a way to sneak healthy foods into the kids or your husband? This is by far the easiest way. They will never know!
1 large head cauliflower
3 garlic cloves
1/3 cup fresh herbs (chives and basil both work well)
Sea Salt Fresh
½ Cup Onion
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1. Chop cauliflower into smaller chunks – bite-size pieces work best.
2. Peel garlic cloves and cut in half. Chop onion into slices.
3. Steam cauliflower, garlic and onion for 15 minutes, or until cauliflower and garlic are tender enough for a fork to easily pass through.
4. Combine steamed cauliflower, garlic, onion, olive oil, fresh herbs, pepper, and sea salt in a food processor and blend until everything comes together into a mashed potato-like consistency. I like mine whipped.
Top with a little pepper for looks and enjoy your guilt free “whipped potatoes.”
These pancakes make you feel like you are indulging… You can have these every morning and never get sick of them. It is the perfect way to start your day.
1/2 dry quick oats
1/4 cup egg white
1/4 blue berries
1 tsp ground flaxseed
1 tbs almond milk
1/2 dry quick oats
1/4 cup egg white
1/2 mashed banana
1 tsp ground flaxseed
1 tbsp almond milk
Place in a frying pan and cook like a pancake! Top with powdered stevia or agave.
I hope you enjoyed my favourite Carb-Craving Recipes. I’m sure they will become your favourites too.