It is Day 26 in our countdown of “DAMY’s Healthy Holiday Recipes.”
Today’s recipe is going to be a base for some great creations we have coming in the next couple weeks. Feel free to get creative and come up with your own ways to use this recipe!
Leave your ideas in the comments below.
If you missed day 28 or 27 here they are:
And today’s… Day 26
Phyllo Pastry Cups
Phyllo cups are great for the Holiday season! Use these in place of pie crusts and other lard or butter filled dough.
We are going to be using them in individual desserts over the next few weeks! The benefits? They are light, pre-portioned and taste like an amazing treat.
You can make these mini/bites-sized for parties or just in individual portions for dinners.
You can dress them sweet by sprinkling some cane sugar or stevia on them before baking or try making them savory with your favorite spice! These would also be a different, fun way to serve salad, spinach dip, egg or tuna salad.
Over the next few weeks I am going to be giving you some great, sweet ways to use these little cups! You will be able to decide if you want to use a mini muffin tin or regular depending on the results you are looking for. These are so fun and I can’t wait to share all the great things I have come up with.
First – let’s learn how to make these things!
You will find phyllo pastry in your freezer section. If you have a local health food store there are some great options for healthier versions like spelt flour and whole wheat. These choices of course would be the best of the best!
You will most likely only need one package as one makes many mini treats!
Next you will need a spray olive oil. This will be the glue that holds it all together. A damp tea towel is a great trick when working with phyllo pastry. When you are not working with the pastry place the damp tea towel over to keep it pliable and avoid drying it out.
You can make your phyllo pastry cups ahead of time and store them in your freezer for a few days. Make sure they are in an air tight container.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Spray muffin tins with olive oil spray.
- Take one sheet of phyllo pastry and lightly spray it with your olive oil spray. Take your next sheet of phyllo pastry and lay it on top of the sprayed sheet and continue until you have 5 layers of phyllo.
- Dress with your spices if you wish or use them as they are.
- Spray with one last light spray of oil.
- Cut your pastry into strips, then into equal squares. Press the squares into the muffin cups. Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Watch them closely as they tend to brown fast. Remove from tin with a gentle twist.
- Volia! You have cute, fun cups ready to be dressed!
Stay tuned for what I do for the Holidays with these little wonders!! Remember – if you have a great idea or a way you would like to see me use these during our DAMY Healthy Holiday Recipe Countdown leave it in the comments below!
DAMY Members – These can be used as treats with our great recipes coming up! Stay tuned.