I hope you are having a wonderful summer and making the most of this beautiful sunshine. I know for many of us the summer brings more social occasions and often this comes with cocktails.
It is a hard lesson when we realize that our sugary summer drinks are adding sneaky pounds. There are a few tips and tricks to enjoy summer drinks while still feeling lean, tight and even Bikini Body ready (see tips below).
Many cocktails can be loaded down with lots of sugar and fats. Making your own cocktails and coming up with fresh, natural ingredient recipes is always the best option.
Having water a the base of your cocktail with a light hard liquor keeps you hydrated and avoiding those high sugar cocktails. I love using fresh fruits and herbs to create guilt free adult drinks for the summer months.
This recipe below is refreshing, light and delightful. I often make mine in a large mason jar and add extra water. For me this makes the cocktail last longer, I am more hydrated, I drink less and I feel fantastic the morning after.
If you love the flavors of grapefruit and vanilla you will enjoy this recipe below.
For more skinny summer cocktails check out these recipes:
Skinny Summer Cocktail Tips
Here are some quick skinny summer cocktail tips to help you enjoy some summer cocktails this season without the guilt:
- Pre-brewed and chilled herb iced teas are a great summer mix. There are millions of flavors ranging from sweet to fruity to savory.
- Natural herbs are a great way to intensify the flavors of your skinny cocktails. Spriggs of mint, lavender, basil or rosemary go a long way as far as flavors go.
- Fresh lemon, lime and grapefruit slices pack so much flavor and only contain natural sugars. They are a great option to flavor cocktails. Fresh squeezed is always best.
- Natural extracts are a great way to add additional guilt-free flavor to cocktails (think vanilla, bergamont, orange oil, peppermint oil).
- Using frozen fruit in place of ice cubes adds even more natural flavor and looks beautiful. I love using large frozen strawberries in place of ice cubes.
- Sparkling water or Zevia Pop adds fizz guilt-free.
- Liquid stevia mixes quickly and adds a natural sweetness to your summer cocktails.
- Choosing clear alcohols is always best.
- Water in between each drink is optimal.
- Edible flowers brighten up any cocktail.
- Have fun with your glass selection and straws. Make it a full experience.
What is the Skinny Best Cocktail Option to Order at a Restaurant?
Here is my major tip for enjoying cocktails out – Many cocktails that you find at a restaurant are just packed with sugar, fat and calories. You might as well be eating a slice of cake. So before I head out the door to a restaurant where I know I will be enjoying a cocktail I place stevia packets in my purse.
When I get to the restaurant I order a large glass of water with lime slices (or lemon) and a shot of vodka on the side. I then add the vodka to the water, muddle the limes and add in my stevia. I have a fresh, low-calorie, delicious cocktail to enjoy on a hot summer day!
This recipe is the perfect skinny summer cocktail, vegan, gluten free, low sugar and deliciously refreshing.
Skinny Pink Grapefruit Cream Soda Cocktail
Prep time: 3 Minutes
Yield: Makes 2 Cocktails
- Sparkling Water
- 1 Large Grapefruit
- 1 Can Zevia Cream Soda (or Simple Vanilla Extract – see tip below)
- Liquid Stevia (optional)
- 2 oz Vodka
- In a 1 L mason jar add 10 ice cubes and 2 oz of vodka.
- Squeeze or press grapefruit juice into the jar (save a couple slices to top your drinks).
- Pour in 1 can of Zevia Cream Soda.
- Fill the rest of the jar with sparkling water.
- Stir and pour into two glasses.
- Top with grapefruit slices and enjoy.
- Tip – If you do not have the Zevia Cream Soda use 1/2 tsp of real vanilla extract and all sparkling water for your liquid. Add about 7-10 drops of liquid stevia to sweeten.
- For those of you who like your cocktails more sweet add a few drops of liquid stevia before stirring.
DAMY Members – This is a great skinny cocktail to enjoy as your cocktail option.