In today’s episode we cover vegan pregnancy, natural birth prep, supplementation, lab testing, mindset advice and everything else Amy used to prepare for success for her two previous pregnancies.
Hear about setting expectations, who you need in your life at this time and how we coped with the challenges of pregnancy and having newborns.
Links from Amy:
1) Books I enjoyed in pregnancy to prepare for birth:
2) Belly butter I use – https://www.damyhealth.com/2016/06/ultimate-boob-booty-bump-butter/
3) My Easy Labour Date Bites – Easy Labour Date Bites
Things I make at around 36 weeks to have ready for postpartum:
- Soaking teas
- Wipes with witch hazel
- Ziplocks with ice
My pre-labour protocol starting at 36 weeks:
- Mother cordial
- Six dates a day – Easy Labour Date Bites
- Raspberry tea
My Postpartum “must have” list:
- Padsicles (made in freezer – recipe & ingredients below)
- Witch hazel
- Cleansing bottles
- Disposable underwear
- Baby wipes (for me)
- Blow up neck pillow for sitting on in bath
- Zip locks with ice in freezer
- Comfortable lounge wear
- lip balm
- Coconut water
- I use these pads (in the well.ca cart image below)
- Aloe – https://well.ca/products/lily-of-the-desert-aloe-vera-gel_30981.html
- Witch hazel (my favorite is linked in the photo as well)
- Lavender Ok
Sitz Bath Recipe:
- Herbs (1/4 cup each) – See shopping cart below
- Salts – https://well.ca/products/rexall-epsom-salts_144568.html
*Herbs & Salts – Steep for 5-10 minutes. Then pour into bath when warm but cool enough to soak in tub or sitz tub.
How to use sprays and balms:
*Perineal Spray – use after each washroom usage, after using your cleansing bottle or any time you are feeling uncomfortable (ie. pre-sleep, etc). Keep in the fridge for extra comfort.
*Use baby wipes in place of toilet paper for the first couple of weeks. They are gentle and won’t easily become stuck in stitches like toilet paper.
*Perineal Balm – apply around the bum before bowel movements. Doing this while applying pressure to you perineum while using the washroom will make things much more comfortable until you heal.
*this is just a photo of my cart and my postpartum supplies. These are brands I love and always use.